Saturday, June 29, 2013

June's Cherish Blocks

I've been madly sewing all month but three of the things I've made are for a Christmas in July Secret Santa Swap so I can't show them. I've also hand sewn this month's Cherish blocks. We were asked to do hexagons so I've done 1.5" inch hexagons. The other blocks that have been made this month are beautiful, it's going to be another stunning quilt!

 

 

 

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Hotties

Don't get too excited! The Margaret Pratt Foundation is running a Hottie Challenge to raise money for Heart and Lung Transplant Research. Ages ago I signed up and paid my fees.i wasn't sure what I wanted to do so I put it aside to mull over. Yesterday I pulled it out with a vague memory that it was due in at the end of June, only to read the info and discover thatI should have had it in today. After an apologetic email I was told I could get it in by next week, so this afternoon I put it together, with some critical input from my children about the design.

The design represents the close community that forms among heart/lung recipients.

I drew the design on paper then made templates before hand-appliqueing the shapes to the hottie. Check out some other lovelies here

 

 

Friday, June 14, 2013

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

It's finished!

After being away last week and having interstate visitors, I've finally finished my husband's shirt.

He's tried it on and given approval.

Sorry about the photos. It's dark and rainy outside.

This was a Collette pattern. I have some of her other patterns but this was the first I've made. The instructions were wonderful, and apart from adding length in the sleeves I didn't need to make any fitting adjustments. I can see that I'll be making a few more of these when I find some nice shirting.

 

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Lucky hubby doesn't like.....

Pockets in his shirts. I've been promising to make him a shirt for years, I even bought some fabric several years ago just for this purpose. Well, it's his birthday this week so it's time to make good on my promise. Only the pattern calls for 3 yards of fabric and when I measured it, I only had 2 metres.

I cut out all the pattern pieces and pinned them all to the fabric and just managed to squeeze all the important pieces on, not the pockets though!

 

See that little pile of fabric, that's all I had left. I hope the kids don't think they're getting matching shirts!

 

Saturday, June 1, 2013

First of June

Seems I had quite a busy month in May! I finished 3 quilts!


And made some blocks for do.Good Stitches

Linking up with Lynne at Lily's Quilts.

Lily's Quilts

Lily's Quilts

 

Houses finished

February was my month as the quilter for our do.Good Stitches circle. I asked for wonky houses and trees. It's taken a long time to get around to quilting it. I'll cite the four quilts I've made in the mean time plus the kitchen renovation as the guilty parties there!

 

As a refresher, the quilt top looked like this, minus the head at the top.

It was tricky trying to figure out how to quilt this with all the disparate blocks. Eventually, I settled on outline quilting most of the shapes and heavily quilting the white spaces. Most of the lines on the white are a quarter inch spacing (roughly because I didn't mark it).

 

We had a vote on the binding and the black and white stripe won, not my choice but we were being democratic!

 

So, that's quilt number 7 for the year!