Saturday, September 1, 2012

Happy Birthday

So, it's my little one's birthday today. He turned 3. He loves vehicles and construction. Last year at the Malvern quilt show I picked up a quilt kit called Poppy's Diggers. It has been languishing with my sewing stuff for 18 months. Until Saturday morning. Last Saturday I woke up and decided that I would make it for his birthday. Now this quilt is one of the most complicated quilts I have made, and I hate machine applique, and I only had a week. However, on Thursday evening I put the last stitches into the binding and threw it in the wash, a whole day early! Sorry  about the photos, the sun was actually shining yesterday morning!
 Every colour change is a different layer of fabric! The little rocks on the sign are less than half an inch across. It was tricky, and at times tedious. Well worth it though and very happily received.



The backing is a lovely IKEA print supplemented with a texty bug print that was just big enough. The kids like the back almost as much as the front.
The back
I've made him a cloth doll too. She's currently missing clothes because the quilt took all my sewing time this week!  But I can quickly finish the clothes this week.

Apart from a few bee blocks, most of my other August sewing was clothes. (And Ms N, I'll work on your dress today if you want to come for a fitting!)

Linking up with Lynne over at Lily's Quilts.



Lily's Quilts
And her small blog hop.
Lily's Quilts

17 comments:

  1. You made that in a week? Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I found you through Fresh Sewing Day link up. I love the diggers on your quilt they are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is darling. You did a great job on this project. It will be cherished and well loved, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's AWESOME! What a wonderful mom you are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have 3yr old that would love that quilt. What a fantastic effort and I can't beleive you made it in a week - phew! Picking you up from Lily's Quilts small blog meet. Looking forward to seeing what else you manage to fit into your hectic week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. can't believe you made that gorgeous little quilt in a week!! I bet it will be very much loved by your little 3 year old. Found you via Lily's Quilts. see you, Cat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The quilt is amazing! You make clothes too - so jealous :)
    Barb@Witsend

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that quilt is fantastic...
    and in just a week too!
    Fabulous
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a very cute quilt! Amazing job finishing it so fast. I'm visiting from Lily's quilts :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Darling quilt! Isn't IKEA wonderful?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. excellent finish - i'll bet he's very chuffed with it

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! That's a great looking quilt. Stopping through from Lily's Quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the quilt! I also love the back, great bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a gorgeous birthday present, well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's pretty good going, a quilt in a week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great quilt for your little boy - happy birthday to him.

    ReplyDelete