Sunday, February 26, 2012

Sulky Sunday

Before I ate breakfast today I had to find and iron school uniforms for 3 children who had to go to chapel plus one shirt for my husband (who volunteered to take them to chapel, it's a much cruisier job than getting them ready!). While they were at chapel I made the first draft of the Harry Potter cloaks that they want to wear for World Book Day later this week. Only with them at chapel, my model was a bit small so I have to enlarge the pattern a little.  The rest of the day was spent hunting for this little girl.

One of my boys needs her for a presentation he's giving tomorrow. I eventually found her at 5 o'clock, where I told the boys to look at half-past 11!

Thank goodness tomorrow is Monday!

Friday, February 24, 2012

Block update

I've not been completely idle the last week. I've made two blocks for my Etchings block of the month,





two blocks for the do.good Stitches charity quilt


 and two blocks for the Civil War Tribute quilt. And for the first time I haven't had to rip a single seam (only a very small part of one!)


Thursday, February 23, 2012

I am a lucky girl!

Last week I got an email from Carinna saying that I had won a giveaway. Look at these beauties!


 I can use them for quilting and embroidery, perfect. An almost perfect match to my son's stripey shirt in the background.

It's been a bit quiet on the blog because I haven't been doing a huge amount of sewing (the kids were on half term last week!). I've finished some blocks which I will post about soon but mostly I have been learning about fitting clothes. There may be some pictures of that next week too!

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

My bad!

I seem to have lost my sewing mojo this week. I've been trying to quilt this top.
 First I loaded it onto the frame and tried to FMQ it but that didn't work and I had to pull all the quilting out. 10 minutes of quilting took 4 hours to pull out! Then I decided to put the machine back on the table and stitch around the stars. Each star has been outlined twice, once inside the star and once outside the star. I really like the way it makes the stars stand out, although it was a pain to do and it would be difficult on a larger quilt. When I was nearly finished I realised that some of the outer triangles were not sitting flat, by that stage I was nearly at the end so I pushed on, I'm wondering now if that is why I couldn't get it to quilt on the frame. I don't love this quilt, I don't even know if I like it. I like the pattern and would consider it again. I like some of the fabrics in it but not all of them.

Quilting

Back   

 The kids like it though, quilts have to be tough in this house!


I've finished two more embroideries for my niece's quilt too. I'm  enjoying sewing these as each block has a couple of new stitches in it that I haven't tried before. I'm now trying to decide how to put them together in a quilt. I'm thinking maybe reverse applique circular frames for the embroideries.

I have two more quilt tops waiting to be quilted but I'm going to do my BOM blocks next and my do.good Stitches blocks. I'm starting a dressmaking course on Saturday so I should have some pictures from that soon too!

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Nothing to report.

I haven't been doing much sewing here. I loaded one of my UFOs onto my frame to quilt it but when I started sewing I got lots of mess on the back. I think the problem might be the number of seams in the top of the quilt and the machine isn't coping with them very well. I'm disappointed, especially as I'm now doing what I NEVER do, I'm unpicking quilting! I'm going to try again with the quilt off the frame so I have more control over the movement of the quilt as I sew.

I've been doing a little embroidery but I can't find my little camera so I haven't got any photos.

Actually, what I've mostly been doing is trying to keep warm! I'm looking forward to half-term next week so we don't have to leave the house!

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Something different

Yesterday I finished up this nice little skirt for myself!


It is a Clothkits design and it was really easy and quick to put together. Because they print the pattern straight onto the fabric you don't have to mess about with pattern pieces and lining everything up. There was more fabric waste than I like but that just means I now have more scraps! I don't have a zipper foot for my new machine so I sewed the zip in by hand, I've never done that before and I think it turned out okay.




Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Something new!

I tried something new yesterday. I made this purse. I love this fabric so when I saw a kit for a purse with it in I couldn't resist!


 The sewing was straight forward, although my cutting could have done with a little forethought! I was cutting the fourth side on one of the side pieces when I realised that I'd cut it upside down! (See how dark the first photo is compared to this one, they were taken between 2 and 3 yesterday afternoon in the same place, it got very dark, very quickly, but it didn't snow!)

When it came to gluing it all together I couldn't get my head around how to get the two pieces that were shaped so differently together. Eventually I just took a deep breath and stuck it together!


I've also finished the second embroidery block from Clover and Violet's Embroidery 101.

This morning I had some time to waste so I went to the Red Cross Bookshop and picked up these beauties.
This one is for my Mum if she wants it!

I'm linking to Lilys Quilts for Lynne's Small Blog Meet today.
Small Blog Meet